Clash of Steel
for Military History & Aviation enthusiasts

Search :

Scarborough Castle




Description

The first stone castle in Scarborough was built on the headland dominating the town and harbour around 1135 by William Le Gros, Earl of Albemarle. The current castle was built in the early 13th century and expanded later by King John and Henry III.
Over the years since it has been assaulted by the Scots, The Parliamentarians (in 1645) and the German Navy (in 1914). The main damage to it however was caused when the castle was 'slighted' following the English Civil War to preven it being held for the King again.

Location

Scarborough, North Yorkshire. Summer 2004

Related images