Clash of Steel
for Military History & Aviation enthusiasts

Search :

Images of Aviation-related installations and equipment


Includes buildings, airfields and anti-aircraft artillery.

Click on the entry for a larger image and details, or click to go back to the previous index

A memorial to more than 20,000 aircrew of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Air Forces who died in the second world war and who have no known grave. It takes the form of a quadrangle of cloisters, approached by a long drive leading to three arches...
Runnymede, near Windsor, Berkshire, UK. February 2005.

The 40mm L/60 automatic anti-aircraft gun was designed in Sweden by Bofors in 1928. It became so successful it was simply known as a 'Bofors gun' and in various guises has been used by many armed forces up to the present. This particular example date...
Imperial War Museum, London, England. October 2003.

The original control tower of the former RAF Bomber Command airfield at Elvington, near York. It has been restored to it's original condition as it would have been during World War 2 when this base was home to 77 Sqn of No. 4 Group RAF which flew Han...
Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington, York, England. Easter 2003

The premier, multi-purpose gun of the second world war, the German 88 was respected and feared wherever it was encountered. A high muzzle velocity, good accuracy and penetrating ammunition, as well as plentiful production meant that this AA gun could...
Imperial War Museum, London, England. October 2003.

The Projector, Infantry, Anti Tank weapon or PIAT for short was used by British forces during and after World War 2, particularly by paratroopers when no other anti-tank guns were available for example at Arnhem and Pegasus Bridge. It had to be loade...
North East Aircraft Museum, Sunderland, England. October 2004.

A row of Tucano T1's undergoing line servicing inside one of the hangars at RAF Linton-on-Ouse. The hangars have changed little in 65 years.
RAF Linton-on-Ouse, North Yorkshire, England. May 2004.

A memorial in the station museum at Linton-on-Ouse to the squadrons and personnel who served there during the Second World War. The Royal Canadian Air Force ensign is included as the airfield was, during the war, home to RCAF units.
RAF Linton-on-Ouse, North Yorkshire, England. May 2004.

These two hangars still used to house RAF Linton-on-Ouse's complement of Tucano T1 training aircraft are the original hangars built when the station first opened in May 1937 and are largely unchanged. Comfortably accomodating the Halifax and Whitley ...
RAF Linton-on-Ouse, North Yorkshire, England. May 2004.

This picture shows the various developments in control tower design over 65 years. The steel and glass construction in the centre is the modern control tower from which airfield movements are controlled on this busy training airbase. The larger brick...
RAF Linton-on-Ouse, North Yorkshire, England. May 2004.