Recent reviews :
- Hitler's Ardennes Offensive (Danny S Parker Ed.)
- The Irish Guards in the Great War (Rudyard Kipling)
- 21 Days in Normandy (Angelo Caravaggio)
- Battle of the Bulge. The German View (Danny S Parker Ed.)
- Pepy's Navy. Ships, Men and Warfare 1649-1689 (J D Davies)
- Nelson's Navy (Brian Lavery)
- British Cruisers. Two World Wars and After (Norman Friedman)
- Warships of the Napoleonic Era (Robert Gardiner)
- The Very Thing (Jonathan Crook)
- Victory from fighting the Armada to Trafalgar and Beyond (Iain Ballantyne & Jonathan Eastland)
Book reviews for - Late Medieval and Renaissance
Crescent and Cross
A superb book covering the Religio-political background to the Battle of Lepanto, through the battle to the consequences. Along the way Bicheno explodes many mis-conceptions about the battle as well as giving insights into the present factional warfare in former Yugoslavia. He conveys a real understanding of 16th Century warfare both the glamour and the gore.
Some good maps, diagrams, and pictures with lots of information on this important battle in Japan which saw Tokugawa Ieyasu become Shogun.
Towton 1461, England's bloodiest battle